Official Indoor Volleyball Rules
Behavior & Conduct
- Each player is required to display good sportsmanship, and respect to the staff and other players at all times.
- Rude, aggressive, vulgar language/behavior or being intoxicated may result in either ejection from the game or by being banned from the league all together.
- Children are allowed, but must be SUPERVISED AND PROTECTED at all times. Our volleyball facilities are for adult recreation and are not intended for young spectators. Children not able to protect themselves from a hard-hit volleyball must have an attentive adult present. Children cannot be running around next to games being played.
- All players must be 18 years of age or over to play.
- Team rosters shall include a minimum of 6 players, including at least 3 female players. No maximum.
- If a team is short players for a regular season match, they may recruit a maximum of 2 players from other teams within the league to sub. Subs from outside the league must sign the waiver before playing or be added to the team roster. Any team found in violation of the sub policy may result in a forfeit for that game.
- No new players for position night
- You may play with a minimum of 4 players and a maximum of 6 players on the court. There does not have to be an equal number of male and female, but at no time can there be more than 3 men on the court.
Matches / Game Clock
- Each match will be 3 sets (no matter who wins the first 2)
- Teams will switch sides and first serve for each set.
- Rally scoring to 25 points. You must win by 2 with a 27 point cap.
- Each game won will count as 1 point in the league standings
- Time limit: We understand that extremely close matches may run past the 1-hour mark. After 60 minutes, time may be called by the league official or game shortened if the match is not close to being completed. If time is called, the team ahead wins that game. Time limit is NOT enforced for the late round of games when no games are scheduled behind it.
- Games are player-reffed. If you have a disagreement about a call-replay the point. League official has final say in disagreements or rule interpretations. All other general volleyball rules apply unless specified differently within these rules.
- Rock, paper, scissors will be used to decide first serve. Winning team serves first in the first & third sets.
- Serve must be delivered from behind the boundary line.
- Served balls that contact the net on the way over are considered live and may be played.
- Serves may not be attacked or blocked.
- You may set the serve.
- The ball must be returned with no more than three hits.
- A player may not hit the ball twice in a row (double hit)
- Any part of the body may be used to hit the ball.
- The ball must be cleanly hit. Scooping, lifting, pushing or carrying the ball is not allowed.
- A player in the back row may not block or jump to attack the ball within 10 feet of the net.
- Any contact with the net during a play results in a point for the other team. Player contact with the net in a manner not directly relating to or affecting the course of play is not a violation. Please call your own violations.
- Players feet are allowed to cross under the net as long as part of their foot remains in contact with the center line and NO contact is made with an opposing team’s player.
- You are allowed to play a ball all the way up to another court. If you step onto another
court before, during, or after you contact the ball, it is a dead ball and point for the
opposing team. The exception is if there is nobody on the adjoining court.
- Balls may be played off of the ceiling or basketball hoop on your own side only. If a team hits the ball to an opponent’s side and the ball touches the ceiling on the way over, the ball is dead and point will count for the opponent. Walls are out of bounds.
- If your team cannot play or does not have enough players to play within 10 minutes of the posted start time, you will forfeit the first game, 2 games after 15 minutes and all 3 games after 20 minutes