Official Indoor Volleyball Rules
Behavior & Conduct
- Each player is required to display good sportsmanship, and respect to the League Officials, Staff and other players at all times.
- Rude, aggressive, vulgar language or behavior may result in either ejection from the game or by being banned from the league all together.
- All players must be 21 years of age.
- Team rosters shall include a minimum of 6 players, including at least 3 female players. No maximum.
- If a team is short players for a regular season match, they may recruit a maximum of 2 players from other teams within the league to sub. Subs from outside the league must sign the waiver before playing or be added to the team roster. Any team found in violation of the sub policy may result in a forfeit for that game.
- No new subs/players for the postseason tournament
- You may play with a minimum of 4 players and a maximum of 6 players on the court. There does not have to be an equal number of male and female, but at no time can there be more than 3 men on the court.
Matches / Game Clock
- Each match will be 3 games (no matter who wins the first 2)
- Rally scoring to 25 points. You must win by 2 with a 27 point cap.
- Each game won will count as 1 point in the league standings
- Time limit will depend on the league format.
- If time is called, the team ahead wins the game.
- Games are player-reffed. If you have a disagreement about a call-replay the point. League official has final say in disagreements or rule interpretations. All other USAVB rules apply unless specified differently within these rules.
- The home team serves for the first & third games..
- Teams will switch sides for each set.
- Serve must be delivered from behind the boundary line.
- Served balls that contact the net on the way over are considered live and may be played.
- Any part of the body may be used to hit the ball, as long as ball is not carried.
- Serves may not be attacked or blocked.
- The ball must be returned with no more than three hits.
- A player may not hit the ball twice in a row (double hit)
- A player in the back row may not block or jump to attack the ball within 10 feet of the net.
- Any contact with the net during play results in a side out or point for the other team. Please call your own violations.
- A player may cross under the net as long as they do not interfere with the other team’s opportunity to play the ball.
- You may set the serve.
- Underhand hits can be open-handed as long as the ball is not carried.
- For indoor volleyball, balls may be played off of the ceiling or basketball hoop on your own side only. Walls are out of bounds.
- If your team cannot play or does not have enough players to play within 10 minutes of the posted start time, you will forfeit the first game, 2 games after 15 minutes and all 3 games after 20 minutes