Official Sand Volleyball Rules
Behavior & Conduct
- Each player is required to display good sportsmanship, and respect to the League Officials, Staff and other players at all times.
- Rude, aggressive, vulgar language or behavior may result in either ejection from the game or by being banned from the league all together.
- Children are allowed, but must be SUPERVISED AND PROTECTED at all times. Our volleyball facilities are for adult recreation and are not intended for young spectators. Children not able to protect themselves from a hard-hit volleyball must have an attentive adult present. Children cannot be running around next to games being played.
- All players must be 21 and over.
- Team rosters for co-ed 6's shall include a minimum of 6 players, including at least 3 female players.
- Subs from outside the league must sign the waiver before playing or be added to the team roster. Any team found in violation of the sub policy may result in a forfeit for that game.
- For co-ed 6's you may play with a minimum of 4 players and a maximum of 6 players on the court. There does not have to be an equal number of male and female, but at no time can there be more than 3 male players on the court.
Matches / Game Clock
- Each match will be 3 games (no matter who wins the first 2)
- Each match will start with a member from each team doing rock, paper, scissors. The winning team will have option to serve first or choose which side they prefer to play on for first game, (not both).
- Rally scoring to 25 points. You must win by 2 with a 27 point cap.
- Each game won will count as 1 point in the league standings
- Each volleyball match must be played in a timely manner. We understand that extremely close matches may run past the 1-hour mark. After 65 minutes, time may be called by the league official or game shortened if the match is not close to being completed. If time is called, the team ahead wins that game. Time limit is NOT enforced for the late round of games when no games are scheduled behind it.
- Teams will switch sides for each game.
- Games are player-reffed. If you have a disagreement about a call-replay the point. League official has final say in disagreements or rule interpretations. All other general volleyball rules apply unless specified differently within these rules.
- Serve must be delivered from behind the boundary line.
- Served balls that contact the net on the way over are considered live and may be played.
- Serves may not be attacked or blocked.
- You may set the serve.
- The ball must be returned with no more than three hits. A block is not counted as a hit.
- Any part of the body may be used to hit the ball.
- Underhand hits can be open-handed as long as the ball is not carried.
- The ball must be cleanly hit. Scooping, lifting, pushing or carrying the ball is not allowed.
- A player in the back row may not block or jump to attack the ball within 10 feet of the net.
- Any contact with the net during a play is a violation. Player contact with the net in a manner not directly relating to or affecting the course of play is not a violation. Please call your own violations.
- A player may cross under the net as long as they do not interfere with the other team’s opportunity to play the ball.
- If your team cannot play or does not have enough players to play within 10 minutes of the posted start time, you will forfeit the first game, 2 games after 15 minutes and all 3 games after 20 minutes. An exception can be made by the league manager for teams that play in multiple leagues on the same night.
- Outdoor games will typically be played rain or shine. In the event of severe weather, games may be delayed or cancelled by the league manager. If both teams want to postpone, it is their responsibility to schedule a make-up game before the end of the regular season.