Official Volleyball Tournament Rules
Behavior & Conduct
- Each player is required to display good sportsmanship, and respect to the staff and other players at all times.
- Rude, aggressive, vulgar language or behavior may result in ejection from the game or tournament.
- All players must be 21 years of age or over.
- Team rosters shall include a minimum of 6 players, including at least 3 female players.
- There does not have to be an equal number of male and female, but at no time can there be more than 3 men on the court.
- If you are short a female player, you must consider that a phantom position and lose their serve when it's their turn.
- Games will either be played to 15, 21 or 25 points; Check program information for tournament format.
- Games are player-reffed. If you have a disagreement about a call-replay the point. League official has final say in disagreements or rule interpretations. All other USAVB rules apply unless specified differently within these rules.
- Rock-paper-scissors for home team
- Single game: Home team serves first or chooses side of court.
- 2 games: Home team serves first or chooses side of court. Teams will switch sides and first serve for the second game.
- Best-2-out-of-3: The home team serves first or choose side of court for the first & third games. Teams will switch sides and first serve for each set. The third set, if necessary, may be played to 15 points (check with the tournament official).
- Serve must be delivered from behind the boundary line.
- Served balls that contact the net on the way over are considered live and may be played.
- Serves may not be attacked or blocked.
- The ball must be returned with no more than three hits.
- A player may not hit the ball twice in a row (double hit)
- A player in the back row may not block or jump to attack the ball within 10 feet of the net.
- Any contact with the net during play results in a side out or point for the other team. Please call your own violations.
- A player may cross under the net as long as they do not interfere with the other team’s opportunity to play the ball.
- You may set the serve.
- REC/LOWER TOURNEYS ONLY: Underhand hits can be open-handed as long as the ball is not caught or thrown.
- Any team not ready to play within 15 minutes of the posted start time will forfeit the match.